Landmarks of Pokhara
Here is the list of the most popular landmarks of Pokhara. These are the must visit places of Pokhara, if you are a First time visiter. These are the places which are within the Pokhara City. You can either hire a vehicle, walk, cycle to these places. These are one of the most visited places of Pokhara.
1. Fewa Lake- It is the most prominent landmark of Pokhara. It lies on the west corner of Pokhara valley. The lake covers an area of 4.4 sq km. The west bank of lake is surrounded by green rolling hill and thick forest and on the east of the lake there are hundredth of hotels, lodges, restaurants, travel and trekking offices, shops and other tourist related service centers. Besides, boating on Fewa Lake will be a thrilling moment once you gaze the rarely beautiful shadow of Machhpuchhre underneath of your boat.
2. Davi’s Fall- This is the mystical sight of nature at the lower end of Fewa dam is also popular for its legend. The fall is named after the name of an ill fated tourist who was swept away by a sudden flow of Fewa Lake. The relaxing tourist did not know the sudden out flow of the water and swept way into the tunnel or craves and disappeared. Since then the fall has named as Devi’s fall and has become a popular site for the visitors.
3. Mahendra Cave- This cave was discovered in 1950, which is one of the most popular visiting spot in Pokhara Nepal. 95% tourists go to visit the cave. It is in about 10 minutes drive from the heart of Pokhara city in the place named Batulechaur. The cave is rich in variety of rocks especially limestone and the rocks sparkle when light strikes on it. The stone that is dripping from the roof and covering the cave floor comes alive under the beams of the flashlights and increases the excitement of this dark adventure. As one of the darker sites in Nepal, the cave gives visitors the opportunity to embark on an adventure. There is still much of the cave that has not been explored and gives the cave an atmosphere of awe, when thinking of the mysterious, unknown territory that no man has yet been privileged to see. The cave is a wonderful creation of natural limestone. Nearby the Mahendra cave there is another cave named as bat cave where thousands of bat have made their home. Both caves are worth visiting.
4. Barahi temple, The amazing site in Pokhara, is in the middle of Fewa Lake on a small island. It is not only a holly shrine of Hindu devotees but also a best spot to observe surrounding hill and settlements including towering and pointed peak of beautiful fishtail mountain. A five minute boat ride reaches the island. Religious functions like marriage, birth day celebration, wish fulfilling pooja are performed in the temple.
5. World peace Pagoda, on the south west bank of Fewa Lake and on the top of Raniban, is a best site for day hike and birds eye view of entire Pokhara valley. One hour gentle trek to the top is also a best opportunity to experience local culture and tradition. Stupa site is a most favored site for internal and external tourists in Pokhara. Fewa Lake looks just underneath of the stupa and the towering fishtail mountain is one of the eye catching views from the site.